Prints of my artworks and poems are available through my Redbubble Webshop.

Wednesday 21 February 2018

Bedtime Stories

I chose the fairy tale I worked with because of the fond memories I used to have for it. My sister and mother used to read it to me.

My dad didn't read to me a lot. He was a lorry driver and he was at home for two nights out of eight. But when he was there, it was he that read to me. It was an extra special treat. No one else could do voices quite like he did. But when he was at home, those nights he read to me before bed were extra special treats.

The Value of Bedtime Stories


So many of our children miss out on traditions like the bedtime story. I hear co-workers talking about their children. Some are allowed to have the tablet in bed for a last game. Some have a little television inside their room so they can watch an episode of a favourite show before bedtime. Some sit down with their children and read them a story. I can't help but feel how lucky those children are.

This is a habit that can bring so many benefits to your children, that I can't imagine not doing it if I ever end up having a child.

A Routine to Help Them Settle Down for the night

Making a habit out of that daily bedtime story provides your child with a pleasant part of their bedtime routine to look forward to. Something to look forward to among the drag of brushing their teeth and putting on those dreaded jammies.

Forming a Close Connection With Mum or Dad

This is a fun time. A moment to cuddle in Mum or Dad's lap with a book open in front of them. Try to engage their attention. Not just to your voice, but to the book at hand. 

If you're reading a picture book to a younger child it's the perfect opportunity for dialogue by asking them what's in the picture. Can they find the dog in the picture? What sounds can a dog make?

When you're reading to an older child, you have the perfect opportunity to boost their confidence. When I was older, and certainly old enough to read on my own, I still loved bedtime stories, only we moved onto longer works and read a few pages every night. It could be a Roald Dahl book--I loved Mathilda and The Witches--or an age appropriate fantasy novel, or a YA book. Pretend you can't make out a word and encourage them to help you. Or tell them you're too tired to read on and ask them if they can continue. I know nothing would make me prouder than reading to Mum for a change, instead of having her read to me.

A Well-Read Child is Better Prepared for Life and Education


Another gift you can give your children is the opportunity for growth, both mentally and spiritually. By reading stories to them from a young age, we expose them to a greater vocabulary and a richer, more complex use of language. Syntax and grammar are absorbed into their minds as they listen to the stories that help put them to sleep. If you try to find a good mixture of nursery rhymes and more elaborate, prose-style works, you can also help them develop an appreciation for rhythm, assonance and alliteration as well as a richer speech pattern.

You expose them to different concepts as well as the morals often included in stories and fairy tales and inspire them to use their imagination.

But Really

Do you need a reason to spend some time with your child in those precious minutes between waking and dreams?

I wouldn't.

Hugs

Jasmine

This is the fifth companion post to my serialised story, The Land Down the Well. Would you like to see what it's about? You can find the links in the libary section on the left side of this page. Hope you like it. I know I loved working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment